Computer Repairs in the South West
Computer Repairs is an umbrella heading under which there are many fields and many people. I am a professional computer technician with ten years experience and skills in many fields (some are listed below). Depending on your Computer related problems I am nearly always able to offer a solution and if I can't I have a network of colleagues who would be only too pleased to help.
The solutions I am able to offer include but are not limited to:
- PC Repair (Software or Hardware. Nearly always done in your home)
- Laptop Repair (Laptop Repair is a specialty and I spent 4 years as an engineer in a company dealing specifically with Laptops)
- Apple Macintosh Repair (Mostly Software repairs as Hardware repairs tend to be done by Macintosh)
- Web Design (Whether you are looking for a simple web presence or a commercial E-commerce package, I am able to offer in-house design or outsource the building of a tailored corporate solution.
- Broadband Setups (ADSL, PPPoE. Single Machine or Networked)
- Network Installations (Wired or Wireless)
- Firewall Installations (Securing your Internet Connection and Internal Network)
- Remote Administration (Repairing your network from wherever I am)
- Spyware and Adware Removal (Nearly always the reason that your computer now performs at half it's original speed)
- General Network Security (Again a specialty as I spent 3 years working as an technician for a Network Security Company)
- Data Recovery (Deleted Documents, Lost Partition Tables and Failing Harddisks)
- Wireless Network Security (Deployment of WEP or WPA to encrypt data whilst traveling the airwaves)
- Email encryption setup (PGP is my recommended method of email encryption. Click here for more information)
- Data Backup Solutions (Offering a range of solutions including Tape, offsite, external hard disks, USB drive etc. Also able to offer secure backup solutions)
- Open Source Solutions.(Including Linux solutions for PC, firewalls etc. Open Source is a wonderful movement. A better explanation than I could offer is available at www.opensource.org.
- Computer Consultancy (I am able to offer computer consultancy based of a half day rate).
PC repairs can range from those little things that have been annoying you for a while through to "My Computer has exploded of my desk". After 10 years in the industry and 20 years using computers (bearing in mind that I am only 25) I am extremely well versed in all things technical. Much like The A-Team If you have a problem, maybe I can help you.
I spent 4 years working an an engineer for a company dealing specifically with laptops. During this time I gained experience in the repair and component replacement of most branded laptops. I am also able to offer Laptop installations designed to switch between your mobile network environments.
Most of my experience with Mac OS was with the earlier versions of Mac OS (7.5-9.22). Since Mac OSX is now linux based I am capable of system installations, some data recovery and repairing software problems.
Web Design packages are available depending on your needs. If you are an individual or small business I am able to offer sites based on standardised Internet technologies. These sites can be created to your specifications.
The hosting for these sites is based in the UK giving faster, more reliable access for your customers.
I work in conjunction with a large, well established (In business since the mid 90's) Internet Consultancy. They are extremely capable and have some massive corporate clients. If I am not able to offer a solution I am certain that they will be able to.
WIth the new broadband revolution comes new equipment, new security issues and new upgrades to your operating systems. Broadband can be configured for one machine or an entire network sharing the connection. All of these issues can be explained in detail and I am able to install, configure and maintain this installation for you.
If you want to share you existing network connection or just share data between your machines I can offer both wired and wireless solutions. After an initial consultation we can decide upon the solution that best suits you.
Internet Security is more important now than ever before. From external attacks coming from across the Internet to Trojan Horses trying to circumvent your computers security. I can offer software solutions for single machines or Network solutions.
The Network solutions can utilise an old computer running linux as a firewall or hardware firewalls supplied by some of the big names in Internet Security. Again after initial consultancy we would be able to choose the solution that best suits you.
For an initial setup fee I am able to configure your firewall and computer to allow me to remotely administrate your computer. This should lead to having less downtime and security in the knowledge that there is always someone able to help.
Spyware and Adware is the bane of my existence. This is nearly always the reason that your computer now performs at half its original speed. Spyware and Adware causes many problems such as constantly crashing browsers through to instability in you operating systems. With new software technologies these can now be removed but sometimes it takes a professional hand.
After spending 3 years working as a technician in a company that specialised in Network and Internet Security I am pretty well versed in this field. I can offer solutions from shared folder security to VPNs (Virtual Private Networks). Many other solutions are available, talk to me about your needs.
If your computer and data backup systems fail I can always try to recover your data. Data recovery can be as simple as recovering corrupted files or partition tables which can normally be done in your home or office. In certain situations this would have to be done by an Expert Company in a static free environment.
A lot of people are now moving over to Wireless Networks. Wireless comes with inherent network insecurities. This can be fixed with the simple deployment of WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) or the slightly more complicated WPA (Wifi Protected Access). This is usually not a very complicated process but again is depends on your needs.
I can offer PGP email setups for many mail clients. These clients include:
- Outlook Express (Via third party software)
- Outlook (Via third party software)
- Eudora (Eudoragpg)
- Thunderbird (Enigmail)
GNUPG is available for free from www.gnupg.org. I would not be charging you for the software but purely for the setup of PGP and the integration of the plugin into your chosen mail program.
Data backup solutions can come in many varieties. These solutions range from commercial tape drive products (72Gb - 800Gb) through to single user solutions, for example USB storage drives (128mb - 64Gb). Offsite storage on secure servers can also be offered but this would have to arranged based on frequency of use and size of data to be stored.
"The basic idea behind open source is very simple: When programmers can read, redistribute, and modify the source code for a piece of software, the software evolves. People improve it, people adapt it, people fix bugs. And this can happen at a speed that, if one is used to the slow pace of conventional software development, seems astonishing." Taken from www.opensource.org.
There are thousands or Open Source products of the Internet and many of them are used in commercial applications. Apache Web Server is an open source product and runs over 55% of the worlds web servers.
Linux is an Open Source operating system and comes in a huge variety or distributions. These can be tailored to completely replace your previous operating system at both a personal and commercial level.
If you want to migrate to Linux or are just interested in discussing open source in general,feel free to contact me.
I am a talented Computer Technician with experience in a wide variety of fields. I can offer solutions for many problems or plans. Computer consultancy is arranged on a half-day rate. I will discuss your plans or problems with your current solutions and examine the current solution in your working environment. This information will be collated by myself in conjunction with my colleagues and used to produce a report outlining improvements to be made to the current systems or systems to replace your existing solutions.